Re: [nv-l] how to mamnage by snmp a service ?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] how to mamnage by snmp a service ?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:28:28 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:28:56 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Ray is correct, that nvsniffer is the right tool for 7.1.3, but it works by
making TCP port connections not by SNMP, though I suppose you could write a
custom module for it which did use SNMP, but you'd have to design that
yourself, determining what MIB variable to go after.

There is a big section on nvsniffer and how to use it  in the 7.1.3 User's
Guide that installs in \usr\ov\books on Windows
nvsniffer, properly customized for your mail service, will  create a
service icon under the server and update it's status on the map.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             ray.smith@clorox.
             com
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/09/2005 01:11          Re: [nv-l] how to mamnage by snmp a
             PM                        service ?

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

you might want to look at

nv 7.1.3 would be /usr/OV/conf/nvsniffer.conf
nv 7.1.4 would be servmon for service discovery and management

hope that helps

Ray Smith

    mgaouar@ssss.gouv.qc.ca
    Sent by:                           To:        nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
    owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.co         cc:        (bcc: Ray
    m                          Smith/US-Corporate/Clorox)
                                       Fax to:
                                       Subject:        [nv-l] how to
    06/09/2005 08:08 AM        mamnage by snmp a service ?
    Please respond to nv-l

Hi

We have Netview 7.1.3 running on Unix System.We included mib2 like mib1
according to our version.The question is :

We have two SNMP agents running on the same server. The first (using
default SNMP port 161) is the one that comes with the OS (Windows). The
second agent came with the MAIL Gateway software and runs on port 200. What
we would like to do is: monitor the MAIL Gateway software (make sure it is
up and running) by detecting a loss of communication with the SNMP Agent
and not by pinging the server. Is there a way to do so? We've thought about
checking Status using SNMP but the ifAdminStatus and IfOperStatus are not
part of the MAIL Gateway MIB.
Also, is there a way to check if a service is available using Netview
(basically the same way as a software as ServerAlive would do, just by
trying a TCP connexion on the specified service port).

Regards.