Re: [nv-l] Interface Marginal

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Interface Marginal
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:28:37 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:29:30 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I hope this response isn't too late to be of help.  Looks like my mail
server lost this one after a failover

Now I know nothing about this Interface Marginal problem, per se, but have
you checked the database status of these objects?  Does it correspond to
the color or not?  That would help isolate whether the issue is with the
ovw/ipmap GUI or with netmon.   If the status matches the color, then the
source is most likely netmon, since he'd be the one setting the status (I
think).

If it appears to be netmon, have you tried looking at the netmon.trace in
/usr/OV/log?
You can turn on full tracing with "netmon -M -1" from the command line, and
off again with "netmon -M 0".
That might give you a clue as to what is going on.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Colin
             Mulkerrins"
             <Colin.Mulkerrins                                          To
             @anpost.ie>               <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.
             us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                       [nv-l] Interface Marginal

             06/08/2005 10:12
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi all,

I am running Netview 7.1.4 FP03 on AIX (4330-11)

I have come across a problem since upgrading from 7.1.2 whereby interfaces
on some of my cicso routers are turning yellow - marginal for no apparent
reason.  When I ping them they can ping OK but remain yellow until I
manually unmanage then manage the interface,  then the interface goes green
for a period (up to 30 minutes) then goes yellow again.  Sometimes the
router icon goes yellow although all the interfaces are OK (green), again
unmanaging and managing the router corrects the problem briefly.

I will shortly be opening a PMR on this anyway as my Network support team
here are losing confidence in the product, but thought I'd ask the list
first if anybody has seen this before?

This is happening on a number of different cisco routers on a number of
different interfaces (loopback, serial and ethernet).

If I may, one supplimental question… How is it possible for a leaf
interface to be marginal? (I'm sure I am missing something here :-))

Thanks

Colin M.

This e-mail and its attachments, is confidential and is intended for the
addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure,
distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Please note that any information expressed in this message or its
attachments is not given or endorsed by An Post unless otherwise indicated
by an authorised representative independently of this message. An Post does
not accept responsibility for the contents of this message and although it
has been scanned for viruses An Post will not accept responsibility for any
damage caused as a result of a virus being passed on.