Re: [nv-l] Netmon events (Node Up/down) not being displayed in the Main

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netmon events (Node Up/down) not being displayed in the Main Event Browser
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:23:49 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:24:49 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Well, event uses the same mechanism that netmon does to send traps, so if
the event command works, and you also get traps from external network
devices, then there's nothing wrong with your system's ability to receive
and display traps    So if you aren't seeing any, then I'd have to guess
netmon wasn't sending any.

Two things to do.  Make sure trapd is running with the -x option to hex
dump all packets when you trace.  Use serversetup to configure that if you
have to.  Then when you aren't seeing any netmon traps you can toggle the
trapd.trace on (trapd -T from a command window) and examine whether any are
coming in.  You should also start the full netmon trace, "netmon -M -1"  so
you can see what netmon is doing during this time.  You can shut the netmon
trace off with "netmon -M 0" whenever you wish.

If you still don't have a clue what's going on, call Support and let them
help you.  They can read those traces for you or give you a tool (gdbprof)
which can attach to netmon and see whether he's hung.  This is just the
sort of thing they do best.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Meyos Yemveng
             <yemveng@yahoo.ca
             Sent by:                  netview Tivoli
             owner-nv-l@lists.         <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/09/2005 04:10          [nv-l] Netmon events (Node Up/down)
             PM                        not being displayed in the Main
                                       Event Browser

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi Folks,
NV 7.1.3 FP 3, SOLARIS 8.

Hi folks,
I am suddenly seeing NO Netmon (N) related events (Node Up/Down) on the
Main Event Display Window for more than 3 hours even if my polling interval
is set to 15 minutes;
The Funny part is:
Funny1 - only SNMP Traps from Network Nodes are shown on the main event
window
Funny2:  If I run the following test command from the command line,
 /usr/OV/bin/event -d "Test Node Up" -e NUP_EV -s N -h node1, I'll see the
"Node Up" event on the main window !!!!
Funny3: If I stop and restart the Server, everything is back OK; at least
for a while

Q1: any idea on what is going on?
Q2: How cant I fix that Situation without having to stop and restart the NV
Server?

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"