Re: [nv-l] Netview Migration Plan!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview Migration Plan!
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:20:34 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:21:27 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I see two questions in this:

(1) How can i ensure that all servers existing in 6.0 will also be
discovered in 7.1.3?

Why not use ovobjprint in the NetView 6.0 system to get a list of all those
servers you want, and use it to construct a discovery seed file in the new
one?

(2) Also how should i have to update the xnmsnmpconf with servernames &
community strings in 7.1.3?

xnmsnmpconf has an import/export function for just this purpose.  You
should be able to export the 6.0 file, and the 7.1.3 file, merge them and
import the new file into 7.1.3

Another way you might do this, assuming the new server will be a compatible
operating system is to
a. back up all user data on the 6.0 system with serversetup (Maintain -->
Backup Selective Data )
b. tar up the usr/OV.back.v6r1 directory structure to the new box and
un-tar it there.
c. Install NetView 7.1.3 there as an upgrade.
Then as many of your 6.0 customizations as can be will be persevered.

This process has been covered in the archives many times.  Look there for
more hints and tips.

But why you have this fascination for old code is beyond me.  NetView
Version 7.1.3 will reach the end of it's life cycle by the end of this year
when the last FixPack for it is released.  Then it will, no longer be
updated on a regular basis.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] Netview Migration Plan!
             06/27/2005 10:00
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi,
Any takers on this please....
Thanks,
Larry

..
Can anyone help me out here please.. I appreciate your
ideas on this...
I have been given an assignment. We have two netview
servers. One netview is 6.0 and monitors only Intel,
UNIX and others server. We use seed file to discover
objects and have auto discovery turned off.
We have another Netview 7.1.3 and this is used for
Network Infrastructure monitoring like routers,
switches etc.. We use seed file for exclusion here..
We have auto discovery turned on..
Now my project is to migrate all the server monitoring
from Netview 6.0 to Netview 7.1.3 and later retire 6.0
server..
My question is, what is the best approach for doing
this.?
Since auto -discovery is turned on in 7.1.3, All the
servers should already be discovered. How can i ensure
that all servers existing in 6.0 will also be
discovered in 7.1.3?
Also how should i have to update the xnmsnmpconf with
servernames & community strings in 7.1.3?
Any other obstacles will i have to consider doing
this?
Many Thanks as usual...
Larry