[nv-l] xnmsnmpconf and Topology/Status Polling intervals and other relat

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] xnmsnmpconf and Topology/Status Polling intervals and other related questions..
From: "John Sobrinho" <john_sobrinho@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:13:09 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 03:13:51 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hello All..

I know there is a ton of info on xnmsnmpconf posts, but I'd like to find out
if there is away to auto populate / auto manage this as netview netmon
discovers devices. There must be some automation somewhere as one time I
accidentally nuked 800 or so entries, so I deleted the whole thing.  I am
not sure if reloading netmon repopulated this field or running ovtopofix,
mapdelete, or what I did, but a few days later voila a good portion of the
data came back but the polling fields were filled automatically filled
ith  -  -  -  -  "blanks" for timeout retry Port and Polling interval. Does
anyone know how this is populated automatically so I can delete and refresh
at will ?  which will lead in to my second question what would be the
defaults in this scenario if all fields are set to  - - - and can this be
pre-determined as what ever triggers the auto population  behavior? . (I
should mention we are alternatecommunitynames.conf)

I also would like to know what kind of additional load could I expect on my
server if we were to enable Poll for Configuration Changes. I finally have
requirement to develop topology maps. I most likely will not create submaps
but split the main map and use locations.conf to split the default map. I
was thinking of using OSPF areas instead of geographical areas.. any advice
on one vs. the other ?

I read some documentation somewhere that Polling for Configuration changes
occur once a day, but could not find when it occurs or how to tell netmon to
get config info does anyone know where this info lives ? If we can time
control this to be off peek production times and days that would be
beneficial.

More generically our ultimate goal would be to do  mapping  with mimimal
user intervention, as there is so much change in our environment and I would
like make netview as dynamic as possible. Knowing of I need to understand
some the fundamental basics. I have a good grasp of discovery and seed
file., now the art of mapping 2500 + devices.

I'll be looking forward to your feedback..

Regards,
John