RE: [nv-l] how to collect cpu utilization of pix

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] how to collect cpu utilization of pix
From: "Colin Mulkerrins" <Colin.Mulkerrins@anpost.ie>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:45:26 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:46:05 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi,

I run NetView on AIX so all may not be the same as windows but it may be worth a try...

As usual, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you try this in your test environment first to ensure that there will be no unexpected outcomes.

I had a quick look at this.  You could try to coerce the mib into collecting another value type.  Try changing the value type for the mib variable in the mib.coerce file (in the conf directory) and restarting the application.

E.g. in mib.coerce add the following entry and restart the NetView daemons (COUNTER may give better results - have a look at the man page for mib.coerce)

#
# Entry for PIX CPU usage
# cpmCPUTotalEntry.cpmCPUTotal1min
.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.4 INTEGER
#

I did this myself in test and it "appears" to half the value, so you may want to create an _expression_ to double the resulting value. (NOTE - I do not collect this data myself so I have not run any other than operational tests on these data collections - I can not verify the accuracy of any collected data.)

Another option would be to write your own snmpget script and schedule it to output cpu usage data to a logfile at regular intervals.

Regards

Colin M.