Re: [nv-l] ? about specific trap numbers

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ? about specific trap numbers
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:03:30 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:04:00 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Glen,

I'm afraid that I for one don't have enough of the context for this issue
to help you very much.  Just what do these traps represent and what MS doc
are you reading which gives this conflicting information?

All I can tell you is that if the trap contains x'c0001b77' in the specific
trap field, then it is specific trap 3221232503 in decimal, period.
NetView does not "calculate" values, it just reports them.   Traps arrive
in hex and get formatted in decimal; that's all.   As to why the MS doc
should identify this trap as  -1073734793 is a question only they can
answer because it has nothing to do with NetView.   Perhaps it's an
internal error code of some sort which generates a trap containing  x'
c0001b77' ( 3221232503) in the specific trap field, but without a context,
who can tell?  Even with the context, I myself probably wouldn't know
off-hand and would suggest you start searching the MS web site or Google
for an answer.

As for generating a test trap, you use snmptrap and the decimal number of
the specific trap you are after.   If that's 3221232481, then you'd do
something like this
        /usr/OV/bin/snmptrap  <target NetView host> 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1
<whatever else is in the OID> \
             <sending host>  6   3221232481  <random integer for timestamp>

Of course you could also add varbinds to this as well but this will
generate enough of a trap to trigger trapd formatting.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Glen Warn"
             <Glen.Warn@pemcoc
             orp.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] ? about specific trap
             08/05/2005 08:40          numbers
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

NV 7.1.4 FP3 RH Linux AS 2.1

I am trying to modify some event configurations and have a puzzling
problem.  Microsoft gives me the decimal "specific trap" number I will see
and I can convert that number to HEX (which I can see is referenced in the
control desk) but the actual events I have to specify are neither.  One
example of my problem is this:
SPECIFIC   : -1073734793 (hex: c0001b77)
Decimal: 3221232503

I do not understand how the c0001b77 is converted into -1073734793.  The
only way I've been able to figure these out so far has been to create an
event that forces this trap.  Some of the remaining ones (3221232481
specifically) I cannot force out and don't know how to calculate the
Netview specific.

Any ideas??

Glen Warn
PEMCO Corporation Computer Services (PCCS)
glen.warn@pemcocorp.com
206-628-5770