Re: [nv-l] netmon not Initializing

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netmon not Initializing
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:32:10 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:32:45 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Pardon me, but I think you have a terminological problem in describing just
what happened.
netmon not initializing is not the same thing as netmon failing.  Neither
is netmon not noticing something proof of failure.  It might be simply
misconfiguration, either in the seed file, the SNMP polling parameters, or
elsewhere.

netmon not initializing would mean that you never see the message in
serversetup that it has initialized.  If you do, then it is up and fully
initialized.
netmon failing would mean that the daemon, or one its threads, is not
running.  This is evidenced by a failure message in the nv.log or the
failure shown in the drwatson32.log. You might also see a trap in the Event
Browser that netmon has gone away unexpectedly, or you might also get a
popup that the daemon failed while the NetView GUI is up.  But if none of
these occurred and your refresh the status with serversetup, and netmon
still shows up, then it's up.

But netmon not noticing something is different than both these cases, and
depending on what it did not notice, might mean that your configuration
needs attention.  Even if  it's not a configurational issue, it might still
require a netmon.trace to figure out.   But the netmon trace is difficult
to read unless you have some experience.

For any of these cases, I think you should contact Support so they can help
you determine just what went wrong.   That's why they are there.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "praveen kumar"
             <praveenkumar.nai
             r@ustri.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] netmon not Initializing
             08/24/2005 11:43
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi All,

I am running netview 7.1.4 for windows with fp3 recently I found out that
Netmon is failing occasionally ,some serious problems was left unnoticed by
netview ,in the ovstatus it shows running ,when I restarted the server it
is fine ,but after some time the problem is  still there ,could any one
help me out to overcome this ?

True regards,

 praveen