[nv-l] Dealing with bogus interfaces/networks due to reindexing of inter

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] Dealing with bogus interfaces/networks due to reindexing of interfaces
From: don.turrentine@amsouth.com
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:01:41 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:02:54 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

NV 7.1.4 fp02 on AIX 4.3.3

I have a large (1500 sites) frame relay network using unnumbered IP and
Cisco routers.  I hope to one day to be able to use the new consistent
index feature on the Cisco IOS but for now cannot.  Is there a methodology
out there that I can use to keep my map and database clean of the the bogus
interfaces and networks that NetView keeps out there when say a remote
router is rebooted and the index numbers change on the interfaces?  NetView
will show multiple intefaces/networks for a single frame connection between
two routers.  When the link is really down it is easy to deternine which
interface/network is bogus (its not red) but when the link is up all the
connections show up.  I would love a script that could go through the
database and purge out the bogus/false connections.  Currently I visually
look at the map and use the nvmaputil.sh command to the delete the
connection that I know is incorrect (see above) for a downed connection but
do not have this option with links that are up.  If someone can point me in
the right direction I will try to write the script and will post it.
Surely others have dealt with this headache over the years.

---
Don Turrentine
BH-0302
AmSouth Bank