Re: [nv-l] xnmsnmp* applicable to Netview Windows?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] xnmsnmp* applicable to Netview Windows?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:05:58 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:06:33 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
You are comparing apples to oranges.  Learning NetView for Windows after
learning NetView for UNIX is not so easy.  There are major differences.
You cannot even count on the UNIX commands you are used to having the same
name in NetView for Windows.  For example, there are no commands which
begin with "xnm" because Windows does not support  X11 programming.  It has
it's own GUI requirements.

NetView for UNIX and NetView for Windows share some code, but they are not
identical, and this is especially true of the command line interfaces.
Windows itself, is much more of a GUI-based OS, and the folks who developed
NetView for Windows using NetView for UNIX as a base did not care much for
command line utilities.

The GUI for  SNMP configuration on Windows can be started from the command
line by entering just "snmpconf" for snmpconf.exe.  It has no command line
options.

The reg stuff you have found pertains to the general NetView GUI and should
not be modified.
Executable commands will be found in \usr\ov\bin, and those that are
documented will be found listed in the NetView Programmer's Reference,
which is installed under \usr\ov\books.  The most current examples of the
books have not yet been shipped but are available on line at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itnetview.doc/toc.xml

HTH

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Michael D Schleif
             <mds@helices.org>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l mailing list
             us.ibm.com                <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                                                                        cc

             11/02/2005 10:49                                      Subject
             AM                        [nv-l] xnmsnmp* applicable to
                                       Netview Windows?

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Netview for Windows, v7.1.4

Coming from the *NIX world, I am used to using CLI's such as:

    xnmsnmpconf -resolve

On windows, files of same name are buried under here:

    <Drive>:\usr\ov\reg\advanced\c\

[A] What are the corollary CLI's on Windows?

[B] What purposes do these same named files on Windows serve; since they
    are _not_ executable programs?  I cannot find anything relevant in
    the official documentation; nor from this list.

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource