[nv-l] IBM Support (was [nv-l] MIB Label )

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] IBM Support (was [nv-l] MIB Label )
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:47:42 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:48:16 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
How do you contact IBM Support?  I'm stunned that you ask.  That process is
usually very well-known to our customers.

Our products are usually sold through IBM marketing reps who have a
constant relationship with their customers, and that kind of information is
usually disseminated through them.  In every geography in the world where
IBM products are sold there are local or toll-free phone numbers to open a
problem.  In the US, you would call 1-800-IBM-SERV  and give them your
customer number.  Outside the US, I'd try looking in the phone book.

You can do the same thing electronically from http://www.ibm.com  and
follow the path to "Support " and "Open a service request."   You'll still
need a customer number eventually.

If,  however, you obtained your copy of NetView from a third-party, a
re-seller, and you don't have an IBM customer number, then you will have to
contact him first.  He will have a customer number  and can open the
service request for you and specify you as the party to be contacted.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Oswin Budiman
             <armahalma@gmail.
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] MIB Label
             01/10/2006 09:11
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Then I guess I'm pretty much stuck with the number... It's quite
troublesome if you have the data but you have to translate it first to
be able to understand it. Anyway, thanks a lot for the answer James, I
really appreciate it.

About the IBM Support for Netview, do you know how can I get contact
with them so I could give the enhancement request? Thanks again.

Regards,
Oswin Budiman

On 1/10/06, James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Well, I understand what you want, but I am sorry to say that I think you
> are out of luck.
>
> The real-time graphing is done by tcl scripts, I believe,  while the
> long-term collected data is collected by snmpcollect.  Those are two
> different mechanisms, one very specific --it only collects interface
> traffic in real time -- while the other is perfectly general --
snmpcollect
> can collect any instance of any MIB variable.  The script writers knew in
> advance what they would be collecting and graphing so they built in the
> mechanism to label the graph with the ifDescr value. But the snmpcollect
> designers had to be more general.  Since snmpcollect stores the data by
> instance number, and that's how it appears in the data base, that's how
> they labeled the graph.
>
> To put it another way,  you happen to know that the instance numbers in
> this case represent interfaces and that interfaces have names, but
> snmpcollect doesn't know that.  And the grapher is only graphing what
> snmpcollect has collected for him.
>
> So far as I know, there is no way to alter the MIB label on the graphs
you
> see.    You cannot get snmpcollect to use the ifDescr instead of an
> instance number nor can you get the real-time traffic monitor to use the
> instance number rather than the name.
>
> Sounds like it might be  a nice enhancement.  Contact IBM Support for
> NetView and ask them to take an enhancement request for you , if you
like,
> but it may be quite awhile before it is implemented.   Management has to
> grant resource approval for every one.  And the contents of the next
> release are already decided.
>
> HTH,
>
> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

>              Oswin Budiman
>              <armahalma@gmail.
>              com>