[nv-l] Ruleset Question

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Ruleset Question
From: "Catalina Martinez" <Catalina.Martinez@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:34:35 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:35:11 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hello,

AIX 5.2 Netview 7.1.4 FP3

General Ruleset question running in ESE.automation:

The rulesets listed below are working ok but wondering if there is more
efficient way of doing this:

do_down.rs -- block --> trap setting = nv60000 node-down --> query
smartset X /if contained in smartset X --> run script A

core_down.rs -- block --> trapsetting == nv6000 node-down --> query
smartset Y/if contained in smartset Y --> run script B

Questions:
1) is it better to have 1 ruleset investigating the same trap; and then
fan out with the different smartset queries /flow. So I would have 2
parallel paths within the same ruleset instead of running 2 separate
rulesets.

2) Does "block" stop the event from the displaying in Main Event window?
The Operators still need to see the event being logged.

3) I normally have "trap setting" first and then the node, can I have
origin first and then the "trap setting". does it matter? which is
better? what's the rule of thumb...

Thanks,

Catalina