RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Question

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Question
From: "Catalina Martinez" <Catalina.Martinez@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:05:12 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:06:10 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Thanks James,

Initially, my script was executed from within the trap customization /
command section and now I want to move the process to a ruleset.

CURRENTLY:
cisco_workgroup 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5 "LINK_DOWN" Trap
command for automatic action:/usr/local/bin/netview_dore_down $A $4

$A == device name
$4 == port number

The script itself does an snmpget on the device to get the port name. I
took care of all the special characters and such. Generates a popup
messages which contains the device and port name. This process works
ok..

RULESET:
uses the same script. but in the ruleset, the values are not sent so the
script does not work properly. How do I export the values within a
ruleset? I've tried $NVA, $A, and then I read somewhere (cant remember
where) not to export anything in the rulesets that all values are there
but modify the script. I just need the node name and variable 4 sent to
my script.

Other questions:
How do I test a ruleset/trap? server setup?
How do I generate a popup with all the trap values? $* on the popup
notification  field.

This is my script:
#!/bin/ksh
# /usr/local/bin/netview_core_down_alert
# The script will take a device name and port number
# and produce the port name.
# If the name begins with NET a popup window and email
# are sent.
#-----------------------------------------------------
# The statement below will replace / with an . for port number#
# IN NV712 port numbers exported with _
stamp=`date +"%D-%T"`
port=`echo $2 | tr '_' '.'`
port1=`echo $2 | tr '_' '/'`
#------------------------------------------------------
# the statement below will do an snmpget to get the port name
#
portname=`/usr/OV/bin/snmpget $1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.4.1.1.4.$port`
#-------------------------------------------------------
# Now we take the first 3 letters of the name
name=${portname##*:}
prefix=`echo $name | cut -c 1-4`
#If the 4 letters match NET- then display window and send email
if test "$prefix" = "NET-"
  then
      /usr/OV/bin/ovxbeep -b 10 -display OPS:0.0 "`echo $stamp $1
reports Port $port1 link to $name is DOWN--Call NWC!| /usr/bin/fold -b
-s -w 18`"&

echo $stamp $1 $name | mail -s "CORE LINK DOWN" online lsg ops
fi
exit 0