[nv-l] RE: Location Symbol creation

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] RE: Location Symbol creation
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:06:33 -0500
Cc: Michael_Noonkesser@bluecrossmn.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:07:22 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Mike,
The symbol sub-class icons do not highlight.
You just have to hold down <CTRL> and use the middle mouse button to
drag and drop them to the map on a native AIX server.  Are you using a
PC with an X emulator like eXceed and perhaps don't have the middle
mouse enabled?  The other caveat is that there are limitations where you
can put a location symbol.  Location symbols are only allowed at the IP
Internet Level(s). A location can only be used to contain other Location
symbols, routers and IP networks. You can use them to build a hierarchy
like a high level location for the US, that contains 4 location symbols
representing each time zone or airport code or state or whatever you
want. After that remember, only routers and IP Networks (Triangles).

It sounds to me like you are having trouble with your X emulation
software.
I use Hummingbird eXceed on an IBM R50 laptop. Without a real 3 button
mouse, it is very difficult to hold down the control key, press both
left and right buttons at the same time and then use that little red
eraser to move things around.

Like Bill said in his response, make sure under "Object Attributes" you
select "IP Map" and then select "Set Object Attributes". Check the
message for errors. If there is any indication of an error CANCEL!!!,
CANCEL!!!, CANCEL!!!  Else, you will not have a happy NetView experience
trying to use that location.

HTH,
Don Davis