Re: [nv-l] What's the flow when trapd tec slot mappings are used as well

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] What's the flow when trapd tec slot mappings are used as well as nvserverd w/ ruleset
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:26:24 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:27:11 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Peter,

The flow of events is from trapd, through nvcorrd (the correlation engine) and then to nvserverd. Your nvserverd.conf specifies that the NetView correlation rule for nvcorrd to apply to this event stream, is PRODUCTION_NEW.rs. Have you remembered to update PRODUCTION_NEW.rs to include a forwarding element for the NetView event, trap-a, which is to be translated to your TEC class of NetBoss??? You can get at the NetView ruleset editor from the Tools menu.

Try testing your PRODUCTION_NEW.rs ruleset by applying it to a NetView events dynamic workspace - if it appears there then the same logic should apply when it is being forwarded to nvserverd.

Peter Raig wrote:

I can't seem to figure this out and was hoping someone could help me understand:

I have a trap defined in trapd.conf that has the TEC slot mapping defined:
trap-a  {1.3.6.1.4.1.290} 6 70000000 N 0 0 "Log Only Events"
stuffies
EVENT_CLASS NetBoss
BEGIN_SLOT_MAPPING
 source NetBoss
 sub_origin INFO
 severity "HARMLESS"
END_SLOT_MAPPING
SDESC
EDESC

And I have nvserverd runing with a ruleset:
ServerLocation=server
TecRuleName=PRODUCTION_NEW.rs
ServerPort=0
BufferEvents=YES
UseStateCorrelation=NO
StateCorrelationConfigURL=file:///usr/OV/conf/nvsbcrule.xml
## The following four lines are for debugging the state correlation engine
LogLevel=ALL
# TraceLevel=ALL
LogFileName=/usr/OV/log/adptlog.out
# TraceFileName=/usr/OV/log/adpttrc.out
#Pre37Server=YES
#NvserverdTraceTecEvents=YES

So the question is when the trap comes in and trapd hands off to nvserverd, does nvserverd process the event through the ruleset or just forward it to the tec? The customer says it used to work but it recently stopped. I can't find any changed files. Other events get to the tec. Turning NvserverdTraceTecEvents on showed other events making to nvserverd but not mine (don't fully understand where in the flow the trace is)

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2006 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.