Re: [nv-l] Netmon not starting - "Cannot open icmp socket" error

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netmon not starting - "Cannot open icmp socket" error
From: Jennifer Parker <jennpa@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:08:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:05:43 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Mario -

The unfortunate possibility exists that NetView install is now corrupted.  The fact is that despite Microsoft's assurances that any well-written application can be run within Terminal Services, my experience has been quite the opposite - unless an application is written specifically to use Microsoft's Terminal Services, there will be issues.  I have found myself in a situation where someone was receiving an identical error message and it was discovered that Terminal Services had been used, both for installation of the product and many times in the normal operations of starting and stopping the daemons and bringing up maps.  Sometimes, it would appear stable, and other times we could not keep netmon up and running.  Luckily, this was in a test environment, and we were able to uninstall NetView and reinstall it in order to overcome the issue.

Note that you can have Terminal Services enabled and running on any system, Windows 2000 and later, that is running NetView.  It affects nothing for it to be running on the same system.  The problem comes in when they try to do anything NetView related remotely, via the Terminal Services, such as manipulating the daemons, the NetView service or the map.  Terminal Services should never be used to access any functions or portions of NetView.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jennifer Parker
jennpa@us.ibm.com
Level 3 Software Engineer
IBM Tivoli Distributed NetView
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.
And I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein
Need help with Tivoli Software Products?
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/

Mario Behring <mariobehring@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/20/2006 09:47 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Jennifer Parker/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Netmon not starting - "Cannot open icmp socket" error

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, I was using TS, but NV was running ok. I´ve heard something about not being able to use TS with NV but I´ve completely forgot about it............in any case, after I´ve got your message I´ve disabled the TS service and rebooted the machine but the error remains. Should I uninstall TS ?

Thanks.

Mario

Are you using Terminal Services?  Terminal Services is not supported for use with NetView.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jennifer Parker
jennpa@us.ibm.com
Level 3 Software Engineer
IBM Tivoli Distributed NetView
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.
And I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein
Need help with Tivoli Software Products?

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/

Mario Behring <mariobehring@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/16/2006 09:26 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Netmon not starting - "Cannot open icmp socket" error

Hi list,

I have a NV 7.1.4 FP04 running on a Windows 2000 Server box. Everything was fine when suddenly the netmon daemon stopped...........and now I get this error message at the ovstatus output and netmon does not start anymore.

I´ve checked the nv.log file and found these lines there:

03/15/06 16:13:15 [netview] Parsing configuration file D:\ usr\ ov\ conf\ c\ explore.conf
03/15/06 16:13:18 [nmpolling] Failed to connect to netmon's shared memory segment; error: The system cannot find the file specified.

I looked for this error at the IBM website but I´ve found only an explanation for AIX machines.

Another thing............this is the second time this error happens on the present machine, a NEC Express 5800 with 4 processors and 1.5GB RAM. The first time took place at the beggining of the discovery process, so I´ve just uninstalled NV and installed it again. But now I have too many objects already discovered so.................

Is it possible that this problem could be a hardware thing ???? Judging by the "netmon's shared memory segment" part of the error message. Just a thought.......

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mario