RE: [nv-l] Netview behind firewall & VLAN

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netview behind firewall & VLAN
From: "Glen Warn" <Glen.Warn@pemcocorp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:07:27 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:08:14 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
There are 2 parts to the firewall config.  The first is accessing the
application interactively.  Do you want to run Web console or X-Windows?  If
Web, I believe the only port is TCP 8080 unless you customize.  If X-Windows,
there is a list - I think this is it:

telnet 23/tcp or ssh 22/tcp
xdmcp 177/tcp X Display Manager Control Protocol
xdmcp 177/udp X Display Manager Control Protocol
x11 6000-6063/tcp X Window System
x11 6000-6063/udp X Window System
font-service 7100/tcp X Font Service
font-service 7100/udp X Font Service

The 2nd part is the Netview application talking outbound to other devices (or
them talking to Netview)
For sure, you'll need outbound SNMP 161/udp, icmp echo.  If you want some of
the tools to function (like telnet from the map) you'll need those opened to
tcp 23 in the example case.
Inbound is probably less.  For sure you'll want SNMPTRAP 162/udp and icmp
echo-reply.

This should get you rolling but is probably not everything (doing this from
memory)  You can monitor the firewall log after putting this together to see if
other ports are required.