[nv-l] internal trap formatting

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] internal trap formatting
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:15:39 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:16:02 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I do not see any simple nor easy way to achieve this.  The trap is sent by
snmpcollect, who collects by interface number, not by interface
description.  As currently designed, he does not gather that information,
so it is not included in the trap.  Thus there is no mere manipulation of
the trap format that you could do to add it.  Rather, you would have to
design a mechanism of your own to obtain it.

You could, for example, write a script to be launched from trapd.conf as a
hidden application every time this trap is received, and have it extract
the hostname and interface number from the incoming trap, and then do an
snmpget for .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.<instance> , which would return the
ifDescr for that interface.  Then you could use that with the snmptrap
command to re-issue a trap of your own containing this new value.   But as
you can see this would be a great deal of effort.   As an alternative,
perhaps, you could look up the interface names in advance, and build a
table in a file, and have your script just get the matching name from
there.  But you'd still have to re-issue the a trap of your own with this
new information added.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Praveen Kumar" <Praveenkumar.nair@ustri.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
04/12/2006 07:36 AM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Hi all,

I am running netview 7.1.4 on win2003.

Some of the SNMP collect status events generated by Netview has some
predefined format message. By looking at the tecad_nv6k.cds file, I could
see this description is mapped with a trap variable “nvEventDescr”
(Respective OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.4). Since this preformatted event
description holds some value like instance number rather than the
description of that instance, this is not easily understandable.

For instance,

I have two processors in a machine and started the collection for Max CPU
utilization. I set a threshold of 75%. When Event is triggered the
resulted event message comes as “<ExpressionName> <Instance Number>
threshold trigered (>=75.00): 80.00”. Here what I prefer is Instance
description rather than Instance number, which would be meaningful as well
as easily can be made out.

Would someone help me in resolving this issue?

Thanks in Advance,
Praveen