[nv-l] Netmon issue after FP04 installation

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Netmon issue after FP04 installation
From: "Senny M" <senthil.mani@ustri.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:49:04 +0530
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:19:53 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Hi there,

I use Netview 7.1.4 with FP04 on Windows 2003 environment.

I found some inconsistency with netmon which is, more often Netmon Daemon become so busy and doesn’t allow to status poll any other devices. When I do a demand poll I am returned with a error “Waiting for Netmon to Respond”.  This is purely after FP04 installation. The below given are my findings after detailed look in Netview in my network environment.

When I do a demand poll to a device (Router or RSM), it runs normal till the stage where “Verify node Name” polling happens. At this stage netmon gets stuck and holds the Netmon busy without releasing. Then I found Netview detected a name for my device which is wrong as well as the name, which holds an IP address that is unreachable at all. This makes netmon to confuse and makes it busy till it comes to some conclusion. But interesting finding is that Netmon is getting released after exactly 15 min time and I found this time gap by enabling the netmon trace (Netmon –M -1).

Now I deleted this problematic device out from Netview map and then added the proper hostname and rediscovered it. Now Netmon is running without any issue. So we can conclude that the problem is purely with DNS name resolution in my environment.

Funniest part is that, this problem occurs only with FP04. Without FP04 (Base Netview 7.1.4) netmon is not trying to resolve the name if it could not map the device with any IP (Including for this problematic device), and immediately it releases saying “Node name was not found”.

Can anyone help me finding why this DNS problem raised after FP04 installation? What is the relevance of 15 min with netmon? I think this is the case also with FP03 as well.

Regards,

Senny