RE: [nv-l] SNMP on LINUX

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] SNMP on LINUX
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:35:53 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 00:36:40 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Collecting data from any box with an active SNMP agent where you know the community string is quite simple.  You don't have to know the enterprise id. A Linux box with HMC SNMP agent should not be very different from any other SNMP agent.  If they answer this string it’s ok, if not it’s broken.

/usr/OV/bin/snmpwalk -c <communityString> <hostname-or-IP> .1.3.6.1.2.1

That command will give you all the architected MIB-II data. With the string .1.3.6.1.4.1 you will get ALL the private enterprise MIB data.  It may be in dotted decimal and nearly impossible to figure out without loading MIBs but you will see it if the agent is working properly.  Every piece of data will be marked with the enterprise ID as the first field.

If you don't get data from those two queries the target SNMP agent or NetView isn't installed properly.  Send the .1.3.6.1.2.1 one to your NetView machine and if SNMP is set up correctly on that machine you should see about 35 items -- at least that's what I see on a Red Hat 3 NetView server but your mileage may vary on an AIX server.

As far as getting things to the event browser, they have to be sent as SNMP traps to port 161 on the NetView machine {aka events) and not as log entries.

Bill Evans