Re: [NV-L] Copying NetView Databases to Alternate NetView Server

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Copying NetView Databases to Alternate NetView Server
From: ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:26:13 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:29:18 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Ok, thanks James.

Stephanie

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> wrote:
Well, the proper way to do this is with a migration installation.
On your 7.1.3 server you use Serversetup, Maintain--> Selective Data, and select all user data. This creates a backup directory called "/usr/OV.v7r1.back", which you then tar up and ftp to the new server, and untar it there. Then you install 7.1.4 as an upgrade (-u) so that the installation process will merge all your old customizations into the new code.

If you just copy data from 7.1.3 to 7.1.4 you will wipe out the existing 7.1.4 data, and you will have to do a /usr/OV/service/reset_ci and perhaps a mapadmin -u ( the one inside reset_ci isn't always successful), and probably an ovw_verify as well to make sure all the fields and bit maps you need are present. And you may have problems if they aren't, which is why the migration installation ifs the supported method. I makes sure you have everything you need first.

I can tell you that our Verification teams test this supported process many times, but they never just move database between releases as you suggest, so there may be other issues lurking in that process I don't know about.

Any one else care to comment?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>

        ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>
        Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
        09/25/2006 02:30 PM
        Please respond to
        Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Copying NetView Databases to Alternate NetView Server

All,
I'd like to know if datbase files /usr/OV/databases/openview and /usr/OV/databases/snmpCollect can be copied from a NetView server running 7.1.3 to a NetView server running 7.1.4.

Both servers have unique IP addresses and are on the same subnet.

The issue is that the new NetView server has too many devices to Cut-and-Paste on the topology map so I'd like to copy the maps from the old server to the new one so that I don't have to Cut-and-Paste. The new server does use a seed file and location.conf. for some devices.

Thanks for your help.

Stephanie

All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster._______________________________________________
NV-L mailing list