Re: [NV-L] MAX-ACCESS in mib files

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] MAX-ACCESS in mib files
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:40:38 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:55:04 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

MAX-ACCESS isn't a stand-alone construct.  It would be parsed as part of something more fundamental, so before diagnosis could begin, we'd need to know what that higher-level construct is.

The three MIB loaders in NetView all have different parsers, so they are susceptible to different kinds of problems.  It's been a very long time since I have seen a problem with xnmloadmib, since it just does SNMPv1, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one still lurking in it.  And of course, the root of the problem may also depend on what else you have already loaded.

If you have a MIB that won't load then the thing to do is to contact Support.  They should collect the MIB and your current MIB database, the text and binary files from /usr/OV/conf, so we can have a look at the entire package.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

09/29/2006 05:39 AM
Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc
Subject
[NV-L] MAX-ACCESS in mib files

Just a glitch I saw yesterday which may save other people pain....

I was importing  the  SNIA-SML-rev1-21.mib using NV 7.1.4 FP4 on AIX .
It's an SNMP V1 MIB.  It loaded fine using the Web Console MIB Loader
but would NOT load using the xnmloadmib (Options -> Load/Unload MIBs)
utility.  It just hung and soaked CPU - had to kill the process.

After a large amount of trial and error, it turned out that there wre a
number of MAX-ACCESS statements in this MIB.  Changing them to ACCESS
made everything work fine.

Not sure why - mebbe James-the-MIB-guru has a simple explanation for us???

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2006 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights reserved.