Re: [NV-L] Linux nodes

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Linux nodes
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:57:57 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:33:55 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Discovery problems are always solved the same way. Get a netmon trace.

First, verify that you have entries in /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type and /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym for the sysObjectid that gets returned when you do you snmpwalk. I don't believe that you level of NetView provides any entries for SLES 9, so you have to add them.
MY SLES9 system returns "1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.10", so I have
1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.10:Linux:Linux UCD-SNMP Agent:W
in oid_to_type and
1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.10:Computer:Workstation # Linux
in oid_to_sym

Then edit your seed file and put your SLES9 nodes, by name or IP address, at the top of the file as the first real entries after any comments.
Next, turn on the full netmon trace,
netmon -M -1
and then reload the seed file
netmon -y

After a few minutes, examine the netmon.trace and look for your IP addresses and names in the trace and see whether you can figure out what's going on. Too confusing? Save the trace and call Support. Turn the trace off with "netmon -M 0" so the file doesn't grow too large.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Liu, David" <david.liu@eds.com>"Liu, David" <david.liu@eds.com>

          "Liu, David" <david.liu@eds.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          11/08/2006 09:10 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Linux nodes

Dear list,

NV714, FP3 on Solaris.

I have some Linux nodes (SUSE 9) which need to be monitored by Netview. snmpwalk is OK, but cannot be discovered, or some discovered but after a while interface deleted by Netview (but the node is not deleted, thus showed blue in Netview, because no interface). I have browsed the archive, but couldn't find the answer. Please help.

Regards,
NV-L mailing list
NV-L@lists.ca.ibm.com

GIF image