[NV-L] Migrating Netview 7.1.3 from Solaris 7 to Solaris 8 or 9

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: [NV-L] Migrating Netview 7.1.3 from Solaris 7 to Solaris 8 or 9
From: Sue Young <syoung@westpac.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:23:19 +1100
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:36:27 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Hi,

I need to upgrade our Netview hardware urgently due to capacity issues. Planning to move from Sun E450 Solaris 7 to Sunfire V210. Had hoped for a quick migration by moving /usr/OV directory from current system to save configs, customisations, databases, mibs, etc. (I currently use nvhotbackup and reset-ci to duplicate our production Netview on a backup server every week with no problems).

I'm assuming this migration would be successful if the new system had the same OS, however minimum OS for all the new Sun servers is Sol 8.  My assumption is that I will probably have problems if I just move the /usr/OV from Sol 7 to Sol 8 server. Has anyone else tried this, or at least tried moving the databases and config files from Sol 7 to Sol 8. Does anyone know if this is possible? We have a huge database and a lot of customisations so do not want to start afresh. Is there any documentation on migrating to a new server and OS?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,
Sue Young

Please consider our environment before printing this email.

WARNING - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please delete and inform us by return email. Because emails and attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems, you must be cautious. Westpac cannot guarantee that what you receive is what we sent. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email by Westpac, please contact us immediately.

It is also important to check for viruses and defects before opening or using attachments. Westpac's liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.

This email and its attachments are not intended to constitute any form of financial advice or recommendation of, or an offer to buy or offer to sell, any security or other financial product. We recommend that you seek your own independent legal or financial advice before proceeding with any investment decision.

Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation, a company registered in New South Wales in Australia under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). Westpac is authorised and regulated in the United Kingdom by the Financial Services Authority and is registered at Cardiff in the United Kingdom as Branch No. BR 106. Westpac operates in the United States of America as a federally chartered branch, regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141.