[NV-L] Migrating Netview to Release 7.1.5

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: [NV-L] Migrating Netview to Release 7.1.5
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@epix.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:47:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:59:31 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I thought that a two step migration from 7.1.3 to 7.1.5 was the case but wasn't sure. I'm amazed at how long the life of a release can be before we are forced to migrate. For the record, I finally got at the Linux version of Release 7.1.5 and installed it on a new Red Hat 4 server. I did exactly what I described; create /usr/OV.back.V7r1 on the Release 7.1.4 system, tar-copy-untar to move it to the new machine and install in quiet mode. Smooth as silk. The only problems encountered were the failure of my Linux system administrator to put the pre-requisite Xvfb and Snmp agent packages in place. That slowed me down about a half hour while he installed them and it still only took me a couple hours to install and verify it while working remotely through a VPN connection relayed through another system. The hard part was mustering the patience to work with X-windows across the remote lash-up. The next task is to visit all the nooks and crannies of the existing support and the new functions which will be discussed on the Technical Exchange Forum tomorrow. Bruce's presentation is pretty good and I hope I can tie in for the discussion.
Bill Evans