Re: [NV-L] 7.1.5 AIX HD requirements

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] 7.1.5 AIX HD requirements
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:33:53 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:40:10 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Sorry to take so long to reply. I was in class all last week and the performance expert was also unavailable.

But the short answer is that whatever you had to run NetView 7.1.4 successfully will be the same to run 7.1.5, because basically there is no measurable performance difference, or so my source says.

And to run the web console, he suggests at least 512MB of memory and a "modern" processor speed with a 100MB network connection. That's what's critical to a successful web client. Whether you have one processor or many the requirement is the same.

When it comes to figuring out how much capacity the server will need to discover and monitor the network, multiprocessors are better than single ones. And no one would configure a multiprocessor box with processors of different speeds, because the lower speed one(s) would always run poorly. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Is this short answer enough? Because you can open a problem to Support and get specific recommendations for your network and environment if that's what you really require. I think that might be a better way to go if you are still in doubt, because otherwise we'll be endlessly hashing and rehashing on this list what the NetView books say about performance and what folks have experienced in the real world.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Zoeckler, Eric A." <Eric.Zoeckler@us.ngrid.com>"Zoeckler, Eric A." <Eric.Zoeckler@us.ngrid.com>

          "Zoeckler, Eric A." <Eric.Zoeckler@us.ngrid.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          01/26/2007 03:28 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

<nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] 7.1.5 AIX HD requirements

Can anyone clarify the processor speed requirements for running the web console on nv 7.1.5 on AIX? Tha 7.1.5 installation guide says minimum=450MHz, recommended= 1GHz. It also recommends two processors if monitoring more that 4000 interfaces. The question is this, do the processor speed requirments apply to each individual processor in a multiprocessor box?

Thank you in advance for you assistance

Eric Zoeckler
IS Analyst - Network Control Center
Data Center Operations

national
grid
Eric.Zoeckler@us.ngrid.com

**** For your information: the Rhode Island Operations of New England Gas Company have been acquired by National Grid and are now doing business under that name. ****

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential to National Grid and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to this message and let the sender know._______________________________________________
NV-L mailing list
NV-L@lists.ca.ibm.com

GIF image