Re: [NV-L] Trying to define TRAPs from F5 WANJet MIB

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Trying to define TRAPs from F5 WANJet MIB
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:57:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:10:58 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

You have to have one or the other. TRAP-TYPE for SNMPv1 MIBS, NOTIFICATION-TYPE for SNMPv2 MIBS
Otherwise, no trap as been defined in the MIB, no matter what else it says.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Sandro P. Seminara" <spseminara@yahoo.com>"Sandro P. Seminara" <spseminara@yahoo.com>

          "Sandro P. Seminara" <spseminara@yahoo.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          02/19/2007 02:23 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] Trying to define TRAPs from F5 WANJet MIB

James/Bill,

I agree completely, from my understanding there has to be a TRAP or NOTIFICATION TYPE, which we can see doesn’t exist. I wanted to make sure it wasn't me not knowing additional SNMP formats. I'd like to confirm that the TRAP-TYPE and NOTIFICATION-TYPE are both necessary standards for importing TRAP in other Trap receiving applications. Is that true?

Sandro

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
I'm not certain who is more confused, you or me. But there are no traps defined in what you have posted, so there is nothing to run mib2trap against. So there is nothing to define in NetView in this section of the MIB. And no, nothing of what WANJet's tech support told you makes any sense to me.

You have to have either a TRAP-TYPE statement or a NOTIFICATION-TYPE statement in a MIB in order to define a trap, period. mib2trap will read both. What you have here, though it has the word "Trap" in it, does not define a trap; it defines objects which refer to traps. If I had to guess, what this is trying to do is define objects which will be sent as part of a trap, as variables (SNMPv1) or objects (SNMPv2). But the definition is still incomplete. There would still have to be either a TRAP-TYPE statement or a NOTIFICATION-TYPE statement defining the trap with these objects as components, something like this

<label> TRAP-TYPE
ENTERPRISE <WanJet enterprise OID label>
VARIABLES {

SnmpTrapID
,
SnmpTrapDescriptio
}
DESCRIPTION
" <text> "
::= 1

A NOTIFICATION-TYPE construct would be similar except that it would say OBJECTS where this says VARIABLES.

You may want to open a problem to Support and send them your MIB and see if they can help you. Alternatively, you can wait for the traps to come in, be shown as "NO FMT FOUND" in the trapd.log and try to manually build a format for them using the MIB as your guide. By default trapd will show you all the varbinds and as much of the MIB OID as he can. If you load the MIB with the appropriate MIB loader then you can perhaps you can browse it to hunt down the each OID and determine what the contents of the varbind is.

Good luck,

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
"Sandro P. Seminara" <spseminara@yahoo.com>

                  "Sandro P. Seminara" <spseminara@yahoo.com>
                  Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
                  02/19/2007 12:40 PM
Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
cc
Subject

[NV-L] Trying to define TRAPs from F5 WANJet MIB

I've been trying to load the Traps contained in a F5 Network WANJet MIB. I've tried loading it in NetView, NNM, and OIDView before I decided on dissecting it. I noticed that there weren't any TRAP-TYPE objects located in the file. After speaking with their support they stated the Trap section of file is in v1 format and not V2 and because of that NetView won't be able to read the MIB. Does this make any sense? Doesn't seem to me. Here is an excerpt of the Trap definition section of the MIB.

-- ********************************************** SnmpTraps
SnmpTrapObjs OBJECT IDENTIFIER
::= { SnmpTraps 1 }
SnmpTrapID OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX INTEGER
ACCESS read-only
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION "Holds the ID of the SNMP Trap."
::= { SnmpTrapObjs 1 }
SnmpTrapDescription OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX OCTET STRING
ACCESS read-only
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION "Holds the description of the SNMP Trap."
::= { SnmpTrapObjs 2 }
SnmpTrapList OBJECT IDENTIFIER
::= { SnmpTraps 2 }
-- Optimization Engine Traps
Trap1000 OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX OCTET STRING
ACCESS read-only
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION "Error: Configuration error."

---Regards
Sandro P. Seminara

NV-L mailing list
NV-L@lists.ca.ibm.com