Re: [NV-L] SmartSet

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] SmartSet
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:17:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:34:01 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Hmmm. You'll need a creative way to do this since smartsets are based on object properties, the properties found in the ovwdb object database. But propagated status is a property of symbols, not objects. Symbols are in the map database. There is no way to use a symbol property in a smartset.

Offhand, I don't see an easy way to do this. The only thing that comes to mind is that you could duplicate the Locations as smartsets. Use whatever criteria you use to group the objects on the map into Locations. Or you could add your own db fields to the objects using nvdbimport (isStore1, isStore22, etc) for example and create the smartsets using that. Then add the additional criteria for IP status. Long term you'd probably need to have a bat file the customer could use to add, alter and delete those fields of course, as changes occur in their network.

By the way, the Windows smartset editor is awfully confining, because the GUI just doesn't cover all the possibilities you might want. For complex smartsets I use collectioned in UNIX and then "nvUtil g <smartset>" to print the name, the description, and the rule to a text file that I import to Windows. You can then turn that text file into a bat file containing a matching smartsetutil command on Windows, which duplicates the smartset there.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Rob Rinear" <rob.rinear@engyro.com>"Rob Rinear" <rob.rinear@engyro.com>

          "Rob Rinear" <rob.rinear@engyro.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          02/22/2007 11:26 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

<nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] SmartSet

Is there any way to use propagated status as a condition on a smartset? At least that what I think I need … I have the IP internet grouped into a hierarchy of Location containers, at the lowest level of each branch is a store location that contains the router, networks and nodes in that store.

I am easily able to create a smartset of the store locations with ('isLocation' = True) && ('Selection Name' ~ '^Store’), and a smartset of nodes down with (('IP Status' = 'Critical') OR ('IP Status' = 'Unreachable') OR ('IP Status' = 'Marginal')) AND ('isNode' = 'TRUE').

Now the customer would like a combination of these … a Smartset showing only the Store Locations with something down. In the Store smartset, these Location containers are yellow, red or white when there are store problems, but the Location itself does not have a status – only a propagated one (I think).

So … Is there any way to pick up the Location objects with a propagated status other than Normal in a SmartSet? Or some other creative solution? I am using 7.1.5 (Windows), but I have access to Unix if necessary.

Thanks,

Rob Rinear
NV-L mailing list
NV-L@lists.ca.ibm.com