Re: [NV-L] New parameters for netmonaction and ovtopodump in NV 7.1.5

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] New parameters for netmonaction and ovtopodump in NV 7.1.5
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:53:44 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:58:32 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
OK - I hear what you say. However, let's try a "for example"....

The NetView ITM 6 Agent manual defines a "Ping and SNMP latency time"
attribute group containing 4 attributes - Node, Timestamp, ping and
SNMP. These attributes are used in the standard workspace provided for
NetView Health in ITM 6 and show a nice circular gauge labelled "Ping
and SNMP Latency" that can vary over a range of -1800 upto +1800.

There is also an ITM Situation defined, as standard, called
KND_Ping_Latency_negative situation whose description is "The Ping
latency time is negative" and whose formula is:
*IF *VALUE KND_PING_AND_SNMP.ping *LT -300
The section in the manual that defines this situation says "See
“Attribute groups and attributes for the Monitoring Agent for Tivoli
NetView Server” on page 15 for descriptions of the attributes in this
formula.", so I have to assume it is based on the attributes mentioned
above and that theses ping and snmp values can be both positive and
negative.

Now by "digging and experimenting", it would appear that both the view
query and the situation are actually driven by the contents of
/usr/OV/itm/pingAndLatency.out, which in turn seems to be driven by a
script pingAndSnmp.sh, which in turn, is driven by a:
/usr/OV/bin/event -b openview -e NMAC_EV -a 747 1>null (hence my
question about netmonaction -a 747)

Now I may be a bit simple, but I can't quite cope with an ITM graph that
is called "Ping and SNMP Latency" where this "latency" can be negative!

Does this mean that ITM thinks an ICMP Echo Request was replied to
before it was sent if the value is negative???
Are these ping and SNMP values shown in ITM, for 1 sample ping / SNMP?
To any particular NetView-known target?
Are these ping and SNMP values averages over a period of time for a
bunch of nodes?
Or are these values more associated with netmon's pingWait list and
SNMPWait list?

I feel that this NetView / ITM 6 integration stuff could be really
helpful, but we do need to know what the standard-supplied views and
situations actually represent! Which brings me back to the original
question.

If we are really not allowed to know what is going on with these
commands, we do at least need better explanations of what we are seeing
in ITM 6.

Many thanks,
Jane