Re: [NV-L] configuring my L3 switch for bandwidth utilization (was just

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] configuring my L3 switch for bandwidth utilization (was just NV-L)
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:24:43 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:29:02 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

I'm sympathetic for someone just starting out, but from the exchanges so far, I'd say this person needs some experienced help, or else he'll have to take some real time to read the books and get simple things working first. I'd try just gathering and graphing raw interface data first, and convince myself that the numbers I saw were accurate, before trying to do something more complex like use it in an _expression_. I've done exactly what he says he cannot get to work, which is to add some individual machines to the Bandwidth Utilization collection and collected data from them and graphed it, all in the manner I described, so at this point I have no other suggestions I can make. It works for me.

A simple way to stick data collected by snmpcollect in a graph? You are aware that there is a graph button aren't you? That works, but it does not have a print option. You have to use screen shots to capture them so far as I know. Perhaps some one else has a better idea.

Another alternative I can think of, more popular with UNIX users who are more accustomed to using additional tools, is to dump the data with snmpodump and get a graphing package off the web like MRTG and feed the data into that. NetView, and especially NetView for Windows, does not have a robust set of native reporting tools. It was designed to do short-term, real-time, network management, not to provide long-term historical data reporting. The data is there, both in UNIX-style flat files and SQL database files, if you want to do something with it. But it's entirely up to you to decide what you want to do and how to do it. Perhaps some other user can offer a suggestion about what they are doing. But as a bug fixer, I can only tell you what the product will and won't do, or should be able to do and clearly won't do.

In the Grand Scheme of Things the global Tivoli method is to pump the data into the Tivoli Data Warehouse and do reporting from that. That's why there are no native reporting tools in NetView. We were not funded to develop them. NetView was supposed be used as part of a suite of Tivoli products.

Hope this helps,

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Ahsan Ali" <ahsanali@gmail.com>"Ahsan Ali" <ahsanali@gmail.com>

          "Ahsan Ali" <ahsanali@gmail.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          04/05/2007 07:25 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] configuring my L3 switch for bandwidth utilization (was just NV-L)

James,

Once this data has been collected, is there an easy way of sticking it on a graph? I apologise in advance for the very basic question but my customer would like a set of graphs at the end of the month for each interface where we had collected data on in/out octets to see link utilization trends.

Thanks!

-Ahsan