Re: [NV-L] custom 'user defined' traps.

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] custom 'user defined' traps.
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:13:14 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:29:16 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

No, you were not dreaming.

The range was (is) 1000-1099. All that it means is that NetView development agreed not use specific trap numbers in this range so that users could define their own custom traps under the NetView enterprise id and be assured that some new release of the product would not suddenly start using that range for something else. In point of fact, the developers never used anything lower than 50462720, that I know of offhand, so you are generally safe below that number.

I can't recall either where this is documented; probably somewhere in the Admin Guide , but I'm not going to look it up. This whole business came about, as I recall, because development had to set aside some range or other since they allowed you to configure snmpCollect to use whatever specific trap numbers you wanted for his threshold exceeded and threshold rearm traps You did not have to use the suggested ones, 58720263 and 58720264. You could have unique trap numbers for every collection.

It's all moot now anyhow. Any specific trap numbers not already in use are fair game so far as I can see. Since 7.1.5 is the last release of NetView there will not be any official new ones.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for <Blane.Robertson@capgeminienergy.com><Blane.Robertson@capgeminienergy.com>

          <Blane.Robertson@capgeminienergy.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          07/24/2007 09:58 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

<nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] custom 'user defined' traps.

I seem to remember, back in the day, that there was some documentation about setting up custom ‘user defined’ traps, as it were. Specifically, that there was a specific range of numbers reserved for this particular use. However, I’m at a loss to find any reference to them now.

Did I dream this, or have I killed a few too many brain cells?

Peace,
Blane Robertson
Capgemini / Dallas
Enterprise Systems Management/ Capgemini Energy
Office: +1 214 879 1666/ www.us.capgemini.com

Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re right! – Henry Ford

GIF image