Re: [NV-L] nvserverd -getting stopped-7.1.5

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] nvserverd -getting stopped-7.1.5
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:40:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:44:45 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Please try not to make as fool of me. One cannot make a remote diagnosis if one does not have all the facts. The hung event window was an important piece of information which you left out the first time. But it remains true that once an event is given to the TEC interface nvserverd has no knowledge of it.

This forum is not a substitute for Level 2, I can only advise you on what steps I might take to try to narrow down the problem. But I have not seen this hang issue here.

Is the event window frozen at the same place as the nvserverd.log? If you close it, do events start flowing to TEC? If you do a netstat -a do you see send and receive queues backed up? If you open a new event window is that also hung? Are there other rulesets running in the background via ESE.automation? Have you tried using nvtecia -stop and stopping the TEC flow to see whether the events windows start flowing again?

Perhaps there is a daemon problem, though none of our SuSe Linux systems show such an issue here and the fact that it is isolated to just one machine makes it even less likely that it is a code bug. If all else fails, then the only thing I can think of is to obtain (1) a debug nvserverd from NetView L2, and then (2) run a diagnostic tool they can also give you called gdbprof. If nvserverd is hung somewhere, then that will show conclusively that it is. But it will not tell you what to do about it. That may take more diagnosis and trial-and-error.

Hope this helps. Best I can do.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Marcelo Zacchi" <mzacchi@gmail.com>"Marcelo Zacchi" <mzacchi@gmail.com>

          "Marcelo Zacchi" <mzacchi@gmail.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          07/27/2007 04:11 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] nvserverd -getting stopped-7.1.5

James,

The fact that the "Current Events" window also freezes also does not indicate a problem with the daemon?