Re: [NV-L] Servmon

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Servmon
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:55:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:57:37 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Hi Catalina,
The way you define service monitoring for a specific set of one or more
systems, is to use a SmartSet.  You will find that the 7th parameter in
a servmon.conf line, is either * or a SmartSet name.  If you use a
SmartSet name then discovery of the service will only take place on
nodes in that SmartSet.  It is nearly always good advice to ensure that
this parameter is NOT * - especially if you have a large NetView
database - otherwise you may have a big performance overhead.

Incidentally, it is the 3rd parameter in a servmon.conf line, that
defines a DIFFERENT SmartSet of nodes where your defined service has
been discovered.  Status monitoring of the discovered service then
occurs at an interval  defined by the last parameter on the line,
against the SmartSet which is your 3rd parameter.

So, 7th parameter defines a SmartSet for discovery; third parameter
defines the SmartSet for subsequent status monitoring.

Cheers,
Jane

Catalina Martinez wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Aix 5.2 NV 7.1.5
>

> I'm enabling servmon and am wondering if there is a way to only
> monitor a certain device. I want to servmon to monitor HTTP service
> but only the servers that belong to my group.
>

> How do I do this?
>

> Catalina

> internal IBM'ers only)

Skills 1st Limited, 2 Cedar Chase, Taplow, Bucks, SL6 0EU, UK.
Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 3458854.
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2007 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.