Re: [NV-L] MLM trap port

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] MLM trap port
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:08:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:12:31 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

I believe you can also do the same with /usr/etc/smmlm save –P 1662

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Technology Services

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Inactive hide details for James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>

          James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          08/28/2007 03:08 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] MLM trap port

Could this be happening when the box is rebooted or midmand is restarted?

Because MLM should use the last configuration he had when he restarts, but it is possible to create a permanent configuration file that will always be used on restarts instead. This allows you to have a standard default you can always go back to by simply restarting the daemon. But you have to set it up.

Run smconfig and when you have refreshed your view of the MLM tables, click the "File" button in the upper left and select "MLM Configuration/Reinitialize". This brings up a panel which lets you save the current config to a local file. We recommend that you use the config directory var/adm/smv2/mlm/config to keep everything together. If you also set the reinit flags to use that file, like this,
"-i -c /var/adm/smv2/mlm/config/<my file>"
Then on startup the old configuration will be ignored (-i) and the saved one will be used instead (-c <full path file>.)

Could that have been set up that way for you in the past?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>"Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>

                  "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
                  Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

                  08/27/2007 06:17 PM

Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
cc
Subject

[NV-L] MLM trap port

I know this has probably been asked before but I am having problems with making this configuration stick.
I have MLM and NetView on the same server. I have trapd configured to listen on port 1662.
I have MLM configured to listen on 162 and forward on 1662.
This MLM configuration will not seem to stay configured in the MLM.
I have configured MLM with smconfig to forward to NetView on 1662 several times.
After about a week or two, the configuration setting somehow reverts back to forward on 162.

I modify the trap destination table, save the configuration and reinitialize midmand and all is well for a week or two.
Then it mysteriously reverts back.

Is there a file that needs reconfigured to make this permanent?

Thanks,
Don Davis

NetView 7.1.4
AIX 5.2
MLM

Call 1.888.FC DIRECT (1.888.323.4732) or visit us on the
web at firstcitizens.com today to take advantage of our
great products and services.

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and are intended solely for the use of
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient,
be advised that you have received this electronic mail in
error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in
error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

GIF image