Re: [NV-L] Duplicate Interfaces After Hotbackup Restore

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Duplicate Interfaces After Hotbackup Restore
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:45:52 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:45:35 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
First let me say that I am sorry for your difficulty.  But I checked with
my co-workers here and they are all pretty much baffled by the problem
description, because we've never heard of anything like it before.  So I
don't have much I can say that will help.

But if netmon rediscovered the interfaces, then for some reason he did not
think they were already in the databases; or in other words, that the
object represented by the icon on the screen was not the same object that
he discovered, so he added a new object to the db to represent it, this
time as managed.  That points to some kind of serious inconsistency between
the three databases that NetView maintains, object (ovwdb), topology
(ovtopmd), and map (ipmap).   But I'm not at all sure what could cause
that.  The only thing anyone suggested was  when daemons are paused to do a
hot backup it must complete within three minutes or the db's could be come
corrupted, because after that's how long they are paused for.

It's probably moot now, but I'd have been curious to know what happened
when you right-clicked on the interfaces, both unmanaged and duplicate, and
checked the Object Properties for differences.  If you have anything like
this happen again, try to do an ovobjprint, an ovtopodump -lrv,  and make a
map snapshot with ovmapsnap, before you repopulate, and open a problem to
Support.  We'll do what we can to get to the bottom of it.

You only had the one map, right?  Or is there another one where the objects
were managed?  And how did you unmanage 4000 interfaces in the first place?
Was that just slowly over time as you looked at one device or another?  Or
do you discover things as unmanaged and only manually manage what you want
to see?

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

             "Claire Bajelis"
             <Claire.Bajelis@b
             endigobank.com.au                                          To
             >                         "Tivoli NetView Discussions"
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
             nv-l-bounces@list                                          cc
             s.ca.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [NV-L] Duplicate Interfaces After
             12/13/2007 01:04          Hotbackup Restore
             AM

             Please respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

Greetings Folks,

NV 7.1.5 (Windows)

I’ve recently had to do a database clear and restore using nvhotbackup
data.

This seemed a better alternative to manually re-un-managing the 4,000 or so
interfaces that had been re-managed.

The restore initially appeared to work, with the map populating and the
unmanaged interfaces reappearing as unmanaged – however, NetView then went
on to rediscover EVERY, not just the unmanaged ones, interface resulting in
a managed duplicate of every interface.

I’ve since kicked of a node configuration poll, a couple of ovtopofix and
ovmapcounts but to no avail.

I’m about to commence a full rediscovery but would like to know if this has
happened to anyone else or if any one could suggest why this has happened?

TIA,
Claire

This communication is intended only for use of the addressee and may
contain legally privileged and confidential information.
If you are not the addressee or intended recipient, you are notified that
any dissemination, copying or use of any of the information is
unauthorised.
The legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived,
lost or destroyed by reason of a mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this message in error, we would appreciate an
immediate notification via e-mail at oncall@bendigobank.com.au or
by phoning 1300 366 666, and ask that the e-mail be permanently
deleted from your system.
Bendigo Bank Limited