Re: [NV-L] NetView 7.1.5 - How Does NetView Select an Address for Field

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] NetView 7.1.5 - How Does NetView Select an Address for Field "SNMP ipAddress"
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:55:38 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:03:41 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
If the loopback address doesn't respond to snmp and the status polling is
set to snmp then the device will be considered down. If the status polling
is not snmp but ping then the interfaces could be up or down depending if
they respond to ping or not.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Technology Services

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail."  -  Ralph Waldo Emerson.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>

  |Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>,
nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |08/06/2010 12:36 PM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  |Re: [NV-L] NetView 7.1.5 - How Does NetView Select an Address for Field
"SNMP ipAddress"                                                          |

|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>

  |nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

 All,

 If NV_NETMON_LOCK_LOOPBACK_SNMPADDR is set to true in netmon.conf, will that
force NetView to use the loopback address for SNMP ipAddress?

 What will happen when netmon does status polling and gets no response from the
Loopback interface?

 Stephanie

  From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>

  Subject: Re: [NV-L] NetView 7.1.5 - How Does NetView Select an Address for
Field "SNMP ipAddress"
  To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

  Cc: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>,
nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

  Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 4:01 PM

  I think there is also an option in netmon.conf to take the device loopback

  ip by default

  Salutations, / Regards,

  Francois Le Hir

  Network Projects & Consulting Services

  IBM Global Technology Services

  Phone: (514) 964 2145

  PIN: 21AE15C3

  "Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and

  leave a trail."  -  Ralph Waldo Emerson.

  |------------>

  | From:      |

  |------------>

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    |James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  |------------>

  | To:        |

  |------------>

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    |Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  |------------>

  | Date:      |

  |------------>

  |------------>

  |------------>

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    |Re: [NV-L] NetView 7.1.5 - How Does NetView Select an Address for Field
"SNMP ipAddress"

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  |------------>

  | Sent by:   |

  |------------>

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    |nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Unless you force a particular address using the seed file, netmon will try

  all the IP addresses on the machine in turn until one responds. It marks

  that one the SNMP ipAddress and will try that one again the next time,

  ignoring the others, unless that one does not respond.  Then it will go

  searching for one that does again.

  James

  _________________________________

  James Shanks

  Tivoli Network Availability Management

  Network Management - Development

  Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

  1-919-224-1642  |  T/L 687-1642 |  ITN  26871642

    From:       ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>

    To:         Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

    Date:       05/21/2010 03:41 PM

  Field        "SNMP ipAddress"

    Sent by:    nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

  All,

  I'd like to know how NetView selects an IP address for field "SNMP

  ipAddress" for a

  device with multiple NICs.

  Once it assigns an address to that field, will it ever switch to a

  different address?

  TIA,

  Stephanie

  internal IBM'ers only)