Re: [NV-L] Synchronization process

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Synchronization process
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:28:38 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:28:45 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
No.  The synchronizing is between the GUI, specifically ipmap, and the
underlying NetView databases. It usually happens at start-up when ipmap
asks ovtopmd for all the status changes that have occurred since he was
last shut down.   When ipmap closes normally it he sets a field in the map
db with the close time.    When you manipulate the map in other ways,
especially by edit, the synchronizing occurs because ipmap thinks that he
has to verify the status of the remaining and underlying objects displayed.

Ofhand I don't know why your synch time is so slow.  You might want to
close the GUI and run ovtopofix

James
_________________________________
James Shanks
Tivoli Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
1-919-224-1642  |  T/L 687-1642 |  ITN  26871642

  From:       "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>

  To:         "'nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

  Date:       08/16/2010 12:22 PM

  Subject:    [NV-L] Synchronization process

  Sent by:    nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Can anyone shed light on the parameters of the "synchronizing" process that
takes place periodically as maps are manipulated.  I don't see much
processor time being used (using the TOP command) but it is taking a long
time to complete whenever it runs. By a long time I mean over an hour on a
network with about 40K elements.

Specifically I would like to know if it involves actual communications with
the devices on the network.

Bill Evans
Senior Tivoli NetView Support Analyst
Energy Enterprise Solutions (EES)