Objects in the database

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Objects in the database
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 20:34:59 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This sounds like database corruption to me. Or else one of the machines found a
gateway to the
internet.  First, on the machine that grew unexpectedly large, you will
probably have very bad
performance until you increase the ovwdb cache to accomodate the larger number
of objects.
Then I would expect the ovobjprint -S to finish ok. In the output for
ovobjprint -s, look for repeated
instances of the same objects with object numbers appended to their names. It
may be trying to
make the same objects over and over again.  Another one we used to get was
'Selection Namexxxx' repeated over and over. I have not seen much of this at
current maintenance
levels.

Also take a look at the output of ovtopofix -Cv, which will give you a  nice
list of the networks,
segments, and nodes in a form that you can compare more easily.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

We got two identical NetView boxes managing the intranet for a banking . The
NetView is at V4.1.0.0 and the AIX is 4.1.5 .
Both  of the NetView looking after the same intranet . Untill three weeks ago ,
we noticed a phenomenon that the number of objects on the two boxes are
dramaticaly different . One of them has 33k objects with the growth rate of 500
objects per day ,
the other has approximately 10k objects with the growth rate of 50-100 per day
.

They are supposed to manage  the same global network , why one is seeing  far
more objects than the other ? Where did the objects come from ? The only
difference is two machines reside on different sebnetwork .

The command I used to get the numbers was : ovobjprint  -S
On the box with more objects , the command never finished after showing the
first two lines which are the number of objects and database fields .  The
other did .

I dumped the database into a ascii file by using the command " ovobjprint " and
tried to do a comparison but had to give up due to the size of the files .

Does anyone have the experience on the issue , or just give me some hints as
where should be looked at ?

Best Regard,

James Zeng
IBM Canada Tel: 905-316-2288  Fax: 905-316-3743