Re: BACK UP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: BACK UP
From: Douglas Staub <Douglas_Staub@KEYBANK.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:31:53 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
JMutrux:

The script that I have written and worked on is for backing up a VRU
running DirectTalk (Shuts down DirectTalk, backs up the unit, and then
restarts DirectTalk), however, I have applied the script to NetView and
associated it with a NetView cleanup script - but, it has not been fully
implemented.

Basically, what you would want to do is make sure all end-users exit from
the IP Map and logout of the box (this is the difficulty I have had
automating - I have tried issuing an ovxbeep to warn them the system is
shutting down and been successful most of the time, however, it is dealing
with those who do not comply that poses a problem) and then issue an
/usr/OV/bin/ovstop command.  Then you would issue the following line
command:

          mksysb -X -i /dev/rmt0 2> /tmp/mksysb.err.$1.`date +%m-%d-%y`

This command provides a bootable tape to the /dev/rmt0 tape drive (ours is
a 5.0 GB), expands the /tmp directory if needed (-X flag), calls the
mkszfile command (-i flag), and redirects any errors to the file specified
with a date stamp.  This command, depending on how much data you have on
your system, can take in upwards of an hour.

Finally, you would issue an /usr/OV/bin/ovstart and alert your end-users to
bring NetView back up.  We have two end-users, so it is a matter of calling
them and asking them to log out, however, if you have many end-users, this
may be something you would want to automate.  Good luck and I hope this has
helped you!

Doug

 (Embedded
 image moved   JMutrux @ GENAM.COM