Re: OVFORUM: Manager of Managers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: OVFORUM: Manager of Managers
From: "Douglas W. Stevenson" <dsteven@PREDICTIVE.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:58:39 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hey Jannie,

I'll give it a shot...

At 02:19 PM 6/11/98 +0200, Jannie van Zyl wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We're currently looking at the so-called Manager-of-managers systems
>available. Can anyone comment on products such as
>
>Netcool/Omnibus
I like to replace xnmevents with the Conductor window.  This one
modification alone will enable OV NNM to support many more users.  I like
the capabilities of filtering events based upon various criteria... even on
the fly.

Omnibus is a very flexible Message bus that can incorporate messages from a
variety of sources.

>Tivoli Enterprise Console

TEC is OK except for you must setup your events up front and the fact that
it cannot handle more than about 7 messages per second. You have to do alot
of legwork up front to get things going.

If you are sending in traps from managed devices, be careful in that 1
little trap storm from an Agent set to send in everything (Trap flood...)
can nuke the system and its performance.

>Command/Post

I haven't used Command Post is so long, I cannot comment...

>others?

OSI NetExpert

This is the Cadillac of MoMs... The rules are easy to work with even across
Management Domains but will enable you to maintain complexity to where it
is manageable... 1 thing I REALLY like in NetExpert is that an Alarm or
Event is a Managed Object.

NetExpert can plug into just about everything...  Very high end.  Takes
alot of memory and hardware.

HP IT Operations

Yes...  ITO is kind of a MoM... While I like the different Banks of Icons
and the control you can distribute across your Support Organization, I
still think the ITO Agents require an awful lot of work...  Unless you pay
oodles for Smart Plug-Ins... The Message Browser requires a bit of
administration (filling up the Oracle Tables can be hazardous to the health
of the system!) but is OK. ECS, while it is being touted as a Correlation
system, in ITO it does nothing but filter messages (The Annotate isn't
there...).

As far as Correlation goes...

Correlation is - Comparing data and conditions right?

Omnibus - Event Deduplication up front. Automation and lookup tables can be
built but the lookup tables need to be autogenerated by something that
polls to be truly dynamic.

Omnibus does a good job at letting you setup message groupings based on
services... And it does not really take that long...

TEC

I personally haven't done automation or correlation in TEC...  I've been
told that it is accomplished in Prolog... I tried Prolog but never
inhaled!!!!!

Command Post

Dunno...

OSI NetExpert

Extremely powerful...  Tons of flexibility... (There's a price to pay along
with this...)

HP ITO

ECS just filters...  in ITO at least.  I heard that in the next release ITO
will have an Annotate function.  Conceptually, I still have problems
defining Telecommunications oriented logic to Broadcast oriented best
effort based networks. Circuits in IP are conversation by conversation...

Well,  I hope that I have helped you a bit...

Thanks,

Doug...