[no subject]

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
From: Stephen_Hochstetler@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:57:50 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
John,

nv6000_smit trys a "soft" kill of the ovw and ovw_binary's that are
running.
It will wait up to 2 minutes to see if they have closed.   Note:  you will
see the "closing" message on your consoles.   After two minutes it then
does
a "hard" kill if the soft kill did not bring it down.   It appears that a
soft kill works more than 95% of the time, and is no different than a user
closing their windows.

I have been using this method with customers for over 2 years without
causing
other problems.   I also  require  a database cleanup/sync process be run
every 2 weeks for large NetViews, every month for all other NetViews.  So
if
this did cause a small database problem once in a while, at least for me it
is a non-issue with regular database maintenance.

Note:  for those people running with NetView clients, a KILLEUIS does not
close the EUIs that are running on the clients.   To get around this, I
copied
nv6000_smit to the clients (don't tell support!) and then wrote a script
that
runs at the server, figures out which clients are connected, then runs
nv6000_smit KILLEUIS at each of the clients before running it at the
server.

Steve Hochstetler
Tivoli Professional Services

steve