SNMP gets using demand poll vs. browser.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: SNMP gets using demand poll vs. browser.
From: David Mason <dmason@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:03:13 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello all,

I have several routers on a NV v4 map that I can successfully get SNMP data
from using the "Demand Poll" (SNMP does NOT timeout, receives several "Get ..."
information, etc.).  However, when I try to use the MIB browser on the same
selected device the SNMP query times out.  Why can I get SNMP using the Demand
poll but not the Browser?

Note: the network administrators for these routers may have changed the SNMP
community name on me.  An 'snmpwalk' for these devices times out.  How does the
Demand Poll collect the SNMP data?  Is something cached somewhere?  I would
assume it uses the community name information found in the ovsnmp.conf file
(SNMP Configuration).

I'm probably missing something silly but does anyone have any ideas?

David E. Mason
Network Management
dmason@us.ibm.com

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger"    --  S.