Re: Problems with colors

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problems with colors
From: Randy Johnson <Randy_Johnson@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:44:22 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
starting netscape with the "-install" option will also force separate
colormap allocation, and should solve your problem.

Randy

rlbarhy@BCBSO.COM on 06/12/98 01:30:00 PM

Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Randy Johnson/Tivoli Systems)

The problem is that you have run out of video memory on your graphics card.
Netscape by default attempts to allocate the full color map which can be
problematic if you are also running other X applications that also allocate
a large number of colors. If you are running Netscape on a unix system you
can work around this problem by starting the Netview EUI first and then
when you start netscape pass it the "-ncols 48" flag, which says only use
48 colors. You can experiment with this flag by giving it a larger number
of colors until you exceed the amount of memory your video card can handle.
Another way would be to get a more robust video card (more mappable
memory), but they tend to be expensive.

        RickB

> From UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU!owner-nv-l  Fri Jun 12 09:51:54 1998
> >From rlbarhy  Fri Jun 12 09:51:54 1998
> Date:         Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:09:20 -0400
> From:         Maciej Podoski <Maciej.Podoski@THEMUTUALGROUP.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Problems with colors
> To:           NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
>
> I've got a NetView 4 system and it's always got these problems when I've
got Netscape running on the box at the same time.  Perhaps in your case
it's also caused by the confilc between Netscape and NetView