Re: Check the communication between NetView and Host

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Check the communication between NetView and Host
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:39:25 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
(1) You have an important Server that does not have SNMP implemented?  How
do you hope to manage it effectively?  That's what NetView is all about --
SNMP management.  Without SNMP all you could do it ping it again.  Not very
effective.  I think you need to seriously review your purpose here if you
are not planning to make your servers SNMP-aware.
(2) In NetView V4, your options are very limited.  The easiest thing to do
is to maintain a list of important nodes and use a script to grep it.  If
you want, you can obtain the redbook SG24-4515-00 Examples  Using NetView
for AIX Version 4 and implement the (unsupported) code they have there
which provides a utility (wtcoll) for checking membership in a collection.
In V5 a similar  facility is provided in the ruleset editor itself and by
the nvutil line command.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

koldor@JET.ES on 06/13/98 07:03:24 AM