Re: NetView DataBase Dump of the Specific SubMaps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView DataBase Dump of the Specific SubMaps
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:45:41 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I hesiate to reply to this at all because, unless you have written your own
map update program similar to ipmap, what you are doing here is not
supported.  I am surprised you or someone in your organization is not
calling Support and complaining that the status of the objects on your
custom maps is incorrect.  This is because ipmap only synchronizes the IP
Internet map.  If you want him to synchronize your stuff, then your maps
have to be submaps of ipmap, not of the root map.    One way out of this I
have seen some people use is to rebuild them frequently because the status
will be correct at build time if it is taken from the topology database.
But that is a kludge.

Be that as it may, your question was "how can I tell what submaps my
servers are on?".  The answer I believe is ovmapdump.  You will not find
this info in the object database nor the topology database; it is unique to
your map.  That is why you must do a map dump.  Since submaps are known
internally by number your would have to do 2 greps -- one with the submap
name to find its number and one for the number to find everything that is
on it.  Like this:

Suppose my submap was named "Chicago".  My first command would be:
   ovmapdump -m <mapname> | grep Chicago
This should return something like this:
   Symbol    123456  Chicago  Shared  485833  Point-to-Point
(the 485833 is the parent of this submap and its layout is point-to-point).
The next command would be
  ovmapdump -m <mapname> | grep 123456
This would return the preceding entry plus entries of each of the icons and
connections on that submap.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support