NetView DataBase Dump of the Specific SubMaps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView DataBase Dump of the Specific SubMaps
From: Goran Saradzic <gorans@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:06:38 -0400
Comments: RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and ignored.
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hey Dave, what do you think about this.  Make corrections in blue!

Hi,

my question may be off in a tangent but someone may have delt with a similar
problem before.  This has to do with the management of servers that NetView
monitors.  First of all, in NetView we copy the servers from an Internet map to
the custom maps that make it easier for Operations to locate down servers once
they are paged.  So we have around 1500 servers that are split in their subnets
on the Internet map and also on the custom maps they are logically ordered in
geographical and their meaning submaps.

Question:
The question is whether or not is it possible to get a list of servers (through
a database dump such as 'ovtopodump') that are located in those custom maps and
submaps which we created to order servers logically rather then by subnets as
it is done on the IP map?  When I say "list" I mean like a flat file.  I would
use this file then to identify if all servers and in the right place, I would
prefer to do it with a script, comparing this database file against customer
assigned file, instead of manually verifying from each map since there is a
number of them.

Attempts:
I tried using ovtopodump or ovmapdump and all I would get is a list of servers
that had no relation to submaps.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to talk to the database to retrieve this
specific information???

Thanks,

Goran
Goran Saradzic - IBM Global Services Network Management Group
email: gorans@us.ibm.com                                   phone: (303) 924-2444