Re: nv6000.log

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nv6000.log
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:04:03 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I think you are asking for the impossible here.  What the messages mean is
pretty straightforward, but that won't tell you who issued them, and that
is more important.  And they need not be from NetView itself.

The first one is issued because some process issued a write to file and the
file descriptor which allocates that file is not open, so the write failed.
Who is trying to write and what are they trying to write, it doesn't say.

The second one comes from some process registering for traps with trapd.
It apparently established a session but some one of the session parms has
turned up bad (as might happen if it lost the connection).

I did a quick look at the NetView message catalogs and I could not find
either of these.

Don't assume that just because the messages are in the nv6000.log that they
are produced by NetView itself.
The log contains all error messages which any process started by ovw,
including any user or vendor applications,  puts to stderr.  The log just
gives us a place to capture them.

I would pursue this by removing or disabling any third-party apps from
starting, getting all the NetView daemons running,
and then start the GUI.  Once you have NetView clean you can add back these
other apps.   They would have added registration files in
/usr/OV/registration/C.  Move them out (don't just rename them as the names
do not matter -- all files in this directory are read as registration
files).

Want more help?  Please call Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support