Re: Problems adding Gateway device to map

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problems adding Gateway device to map
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:03:49 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Some part of the missing router must be in there somewhere, although the
message you are
getting is not the one I would expect.  Anyway, I prefer to have netview
discover these things
naturally, rather than force it by adding them. For that to happen, you will
first have to find the
thing and delete it. And I would delete that remote subnet as well. If it is
blue, then it is
probably there as a starting point for the discovery of the missing router.
(Any chance that
snmp is not turned on in that router? Now about finding and deleting the
partial router node:
Do  an ovobjprint -s > junk.file and grep the file looking for your friend.
Sometimes you will
find an object that has only the selection name and hostname fields. That means
somebody
is planning to discover it. There is probably not enough of an object to do a
locate and
delete via the map on it, but (don't tell anyone I told you this) you might be
able to clean it
out using the undocumented, unsafe, unsupported 'ovtopofix -r <SelectionName>'
command.
The thing could be the start of a node, a segment, a network, whatever. If it
is related to
the missing router, get rid of it. Of course during discovery you only want to
have one map, right?
Then do the regular stuff: ovmapcount -a, ovtopofix -a, ovstop ovtopmd,
ovtopofix -Cv.
I would then restart netmon and ovtopmd, give netmon a while to do its
configuration poll,
and ping the missing router. Make sure new node discovery is enabled, both in
the general
sense (Options..Topology..) and in that network (Options...SNMP
onfiguration..).
By the way, I don't know for sure that the '-r' option was carried forward into
V5.  I've used it
recently in V4, though, for a similar situation.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

I tried the ovtopodump and it is NOT currenlty defined in the database.

Here's a little more information.  The router Im trying to discover has no
DNS resolved hostname.  From reading other posts, maybe this could relate to
the problem.

subnet a --<Router to be defined>--subnet b

        Subnet a is discovered, managed and connected.  Subnet b is blue
(undetermined) and unconnected.  I attempt to add the router with IP address
of either interface on the subnets, and Netview tells me:

> "Node with this IP address already exists in Interent level submap"

        We are configured for autodiscovery, yet this router is not being
found.  What are the detailed steps involved in auto-discovery.  Perhaps
with a step by step list, I can troubleshoot this configuration...

        TIA,
        Bryan