What determines object name for dual interface machine?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: What determines object name for dual interface machine?
From: "Brook, Bryan S" <bryan.s.brook@LMCO.COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:13:52 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi everyone.

We are defining a collection and attempt to define it by an "object list".
Within this list we type in the hostnames of the machines to be included in
the collection. Sometimes the hostname we add isnt there.  Why?

Our machines have 2 interfaces:
DNS resolved names:  foo (FDDI) and foo_e (ethernet)

If I add foo to my object list -- It fails.
If I add foo_e to my object list -- It works.

Is this because foo_e was the first interface discovered for that machine?
If the topology database was dumped and rediscovered, the object name would
be whatever interface it found first?
How could we ensure the object names coincide with the "real" hostname?  Add
entries for FDDI interface in the seedfile?