Decisions in Different Ruleset Threads

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Decisions in Different Ruleset Threads
From: Robin Arzoni <rarzoni@CARDINAL.CO.NZ>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:52:11 +1200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

My question concerns how ruleset threads are processed (by a thread, I mean
a single line of decision and action nodes that hangs off the Pizza node).
If there are several threads hanging off the Pizza, are they processed
simultaneously (multi-threaded); or in sequence (single-threaded), starting
from the top thread and ending with the bottom one? Looking at the nvcorrd
log, it would seem that single-threading is used.

It would be useful if I could test a condition during the execution of the
first (topmost) thread, set a Global Variable, and then query that variable
in threads that occur further down the ruleset. This would save me having to
test the condition in multiple threads (testing the condition involves
running a script as an Inline Action, and I want to keep the invocation of
scripts to an absolute minimum).

However, to use this technique, I need to be sure that the first thread has
completed its processing, and set the Global Variable, before the second
thread starts to execute. It's very unfortunate that ruleset decision nodes
don't support the ELSE concept: this would solve the problem completely!

All help gratefully received ...
Thanks,
Robin Arzoni
Cardinal Network